Black Bean Chipotle “Salsa” Recipe
This is an easy and nutritious combo of sautéed onion, diced tomatoes, black beans, and frozen peas. This quick dish is very versatile. There are many ways you can incorporate this into your meals. I have used it as a topping in salads, a side dish for chicken or burgers, and eaten it plain as a snack. Other ways I have used this “salsa filling” has been in lettuce wraps or put it on top of whole grain chips for healthy nachos. It is filling, flavorful, and adds lots of tasty nutrients to my meals.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup=90 calories
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans
- 1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes (and their juice)
- 2 cups Frozen Peas
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp squeeze ginger
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Chipotle Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic
- ¼ tsp Salt (optional)
- Finely dice the onion. Add the olive oil, ginger, and onion to a skillet and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Drain, but do not rinse the black beans,
- Add the beans and diced tomatoes (not drained) to the skillet, along with the chipotle powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and lime juice.
- Stir and simmer the mixture until it thickens and liquid no longer pools on the bottom of the skillet (about 10 minutes).
- Enjoy 🙂
For more food ideas— follow my instagram: