Chickpea Banana Protein Bars
A few months ago I fell in love with chickpeas. They provide slow releasing carbohydrates, which help to control sugar levels. These legumes are also a great source of protein, and have tons of fiber to help with digestion. Chickpeas also contain numerous essential vitamins and minerals.
Besides the natural dietary benefits that chickpeas provide, they are also a great base for bars. When ground up in a food processor they kind of turn into a cookie dough like texture, which anyone would love!
The other main ingredients in these bars are bananas, almond butter, protein powder, and chia seeds. I used Promix Unflavored Casein protein, but most other protein powders should work great too. I would suggest using a vanilla or unflavored protein for this recipe. With my casein protein powder, each bar has over 17 grams of protein, just 3 added grams of sugar, 5 grams of fiber, and is 195 calories.
Chickpea Banana Protein Bar Recipe
Servings: 8 bars Calories: 195 per bar
- 1 can of chickpeas (15 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 4 scoops of protein powder (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 small bananas
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor.
- Process until very smooth and well combined, scraping the sides if necessary.
- Remove from food processor with wet hands and push into a pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for about an hour before removing paper from pan and slicing into 8 bars.
- Place cut bars in a baggie or Tupperware and store in the refrigerator or freezer. These will become soft at room temperature.