Chickpea “Fudge” Energy Bar Recipe
In the last few months I have become kind of obsessed with chickpeas. I use them in salads, soups, and many other random meals. Chickpeas, like other legumes, are high in fiber and protein. They also contain many important vitamins and minerals.
These bars are great for a healthy snack, breakfast, or dessert. They are filling, nutritious, and can be kind of addicting. I love these bars because they have no added sugar and provide me a burst of clean energy. They require no baking and can be made fairly quickly. The bars should be stored in the freezer, and may be eaten cold or warmed up.
Servings: 12 bars Nutrition: 125 calories per bar
- 1 extra large banana
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 15-ounce can (1 1/2 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup almond butter, or nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs flax meal
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a food processor or blender, add oats. Process until a fine flour forms. Add banana, chickpeas, almond butter, milk, coconut oil (melted), applesauce, flax meal, chia seeds and vanilla extract. Process until completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread into an even layer.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours, then cut into 12 bars. Store in the freezer. Remove at least 5 minutes before eating.
I like to top the bars with peanut butter. If you want to sweeten the bars up, you could also top them with maple syrup or melted chocolate.