Coconut & Oat Flour Banana Bread
Who doesn't love banana bread? Thats right, everyone loves banana bread, unfortunately, so many recipes are loaded with sugar. I don't want to live without snacks like this, so that is why I like to create healthy versions of them.
When bananas ripen their original starch turns into sugar. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be. Since this recipe has 3 ripe bananas in it, your taste buds will not be missing any sweet taste.
The great thing about bananas being the sweetener is they provide tons of nutrients, fiber, and have a low glycemic index. Compared to sugar which is basically just empty calories that your body hates.
In this recipe, I also substitute normal flour with coconut flour and oat flour. Oat flour gives recipes a gooey texture that I just love. The coconut flour also adds a nice flavor and healthy fats and protein.
To create this recipe I looked at multiple other healthy banana bread recipes and combined them into one!
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
cook time: 60 mins
- 3 medium ripe Bananas
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats (I grind up rolled oats in blender)
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I use 3.5% milk fat)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 + a dash Salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grind up rolled oats into oat flour. (I use a Magic Bullet to do this)
- Combine oat flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder in large bowl. Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas until smooth. Then whisk in eggs, yogurt, and vanilla to bananas. OR (another option I use to mash bananas and whisk egg) Put one egg and 1.5 bananas in mini blender and blend together till smooth. Repeat for the second egg and the rest of the bananas. Then pour this banana egg mixture into bowl, add yogurt and vanilla. (this way is faster, completely pulses the banana, and whips the eggs).
- Once bananas, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla have been combined, pour this mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until completely combined.
- If using chocolate chips or blueberries stir those in now.
- Either grease or cover the inside of a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Pour batter into loaf tin.
- Bake Banana bread for approximately 60 minutes.
- Let bread cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- Slice into 8 pieces.
– Since this recipe uses oat and coconut flour instead of wheat flour, it does not rise as much and will be a thicker consistency when done.
– 1/8 of the loaf has 6 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, 4.5 grams of fat, 8 grams of sugar and 23 total grams of carbs.