Salmon Burger + Recipe
At the moment I am an active college student who is on a budget. This salmon burger recipe is inexpensive, quick and simple, and in my own tastebuds opinion, delicious!
These salmon burgers are packed with heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids from the wild salmon and flax seed. Omega-3 fatty acids are great for brain and heart health, may help you sleep better, support healthy skin, keep bones and joints strong, and so much more.
I use canned wild caught alaskan salmon. Make sure when buying you get the can that has the word WILD on it. The nutrient value of salmon goes way down if it is farmed salmon. Another main ingredient to these burgers is ground flax seed. Flax seed is also high in Omega- 3 fatty acids. A little tip I learned recently is pre-ground flax seed needs to be refrigerated or frozen so it does not go rancid. You can buy whole flax seeds or ground flax seed at the store. I personally get ground flax seed and store it in the freezer because it is less of a hassle to use.
If you are into meal prepping these burgers are a great option for a filling protein source. The recipe makes 6 burgers and they still taste great warmed up in the microwave. I even love to eat them cold too.
Salmon Burger Recipe
Servings 6 burgers Serving Size: 1 Burger=180 calories
- 1 can wild salmon
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/3 yellow or white onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp dijion mustard
- 1 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/2-3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dice 1/3 of an onion and set aside.
- Drain the canned salmon and discard larger bones or any skin from the fish.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients. * I usually add the salmon and eggs first.
- Mix together until all the ingredients are well combined and can be formed into burgers. *I have used my hands or a spoon and fork to mix the ingredients together.
- Once all ingredients are combined form into 6 even burgers on the parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for between 15-20 minutes. *most canned salmon is precooked
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- 180 calories
- 18 grams protein
- 11 grams fat
- 2 grams carbs
These burgers taste great plain, or with toppings like ketchup, mustard, or pesto. This inexpensive and quick recipe can be added to your meal prep options and can be another great way to incorporate some healthy fish into your diet.